Monday, March 3, 2008

A dyslexic lawyer-to-be

For some odd reason, I researched dyslexia online.

My mom told me I was dyslexic when I was a child. According to her, I would go home from school crying that I couldn't read. It took me longer than other kids to learn to read, due to my condition.

I had thought that my difficulty in learning to read was the only side-effect of my condition. However, my research has shown that I have other conditions that are asymptomatic to dsylexia.

I have difficulty distinguishing right from left. I have bad short term memory but excellent long term memory (which makes sense considering how I find it so difficult to memorize provisions). I have difficulty with math. I have a lot of trouble with spelling and normally don't realize typographical errors in things i write. Dyslexics usually have improved spatial memory, which makes sense considering I have an excellent sense of direction. I have some difficulty speaking, I often stutter and sometimes mix up my syllables. Also, dyslexic people tend to have messy bedrooms (which i have) and have diffuclty tying shoelaces (which i do). I also tend to misread my words which is also a symptom.

Lastly, people with dyslexia often have a very tight writing grip (which i have) and have difficulty writing in a straight horizontal line (me!!)

So apparently, these little quirks of mine are there for a reason. Huh. Who would've thunk. The symptoms are so erring correct that it's almost spooky.

And despite all these, I'm supposed to be a lawyer one day? Huh. Good luck to me.

On the bright side, dyslexic people are supposedly very artistic. For instance, Ansel Adams (photography god), Leonardo di vinci and Van Gogh were all supposedly dyslexic.

2 comments:

carol said...

my frien zoe (16 years old) have the same problems. her mum has been trying for 2 years to get her help from the school. she wrote to the dyslexic association, the school board, the local MP and nothing is been done. her mum paid a private test to be done to confirm her level of dislexia and this has been also ignored by the school. now the school says that zoe does not qualify for help but they do not tell us why. i dont know what else to do. if you could give me any advise pls write to www.yuraima37@hotmail.com

thanks

Melody Eye said...

It is hard to get information to help the dyslexic. You have to go see a psychologist and take a IQ test which a start and Vocational Rehabilitation should be able to help her get diagnosed. I went to an eye doctor that had worked with and educationists and trust me she can get help. Trust me it is very difficult to get done but it is possible and it will pay for itself cause it can and will help with paying for her college education. I wish you all the luck